AI-Driven Homes Ease the Style of Living
Predicting the future to the next gen-revolution in technology, Home automation opens up a whole new world with growing internet penetration and availability of smart home technologies.
Home automation describes homes where everything lights, appliances, heating and cooling systems, electrical outlets and security systems are hooked up to a remotely controllable network.
There are many start-up companies that have jumped on Home Automation bandwagon. Some of the protocols like Zigbee, Zwave and KNX have brought many manufacturers on the same platform so that consumers can have a wider choice. In parallel, rising awareness and increasing global exposure amongst home buyers have led to increased demand for automated elements within homes – for example, those that enable users to remotely observe and control functionalities, including security. There are several real estate developers that are designing smart homes pre-equipped with home automation. In fact, an increasing number of homes are now semi-automated, including areas such as kitchens and washrooms.
While the home automation market has limitless possibilities, there are multiple restraints for its measured growth in the past few years. Home automation solutions providers need to design products keeping in mind the Indian household environment. For instance, a majority of houses in India are made of concrete or brick walls which means for the smart home solution to be functional in that house, it would require wireless Internet of Things (IoT) devices with long range. Additionally, installing home automation gadgets is perceived to be an expensive process by common man and HNIs are sceptical of the data security. Also read Dholera: A Smart Industrial Realty
The Cost Factor
With smaller and more affordable solutions available, it is possible to create a smart home at 1% of the total construction cost. Research says that the costs can further come down as demand increases through rising awareness about the benefits of home automation. Depending on the diverse range of the products available and their application, price segments differ. Every device has got a ‘smart’ option available in the market whether it’s large appliances or small appliances or voice recognition systems.
“Home automation began as the exclusive domain of the ultra-rich, but that is changing. The concept of home automation is beginning to transcend price points and meet a wider range of needs.” Jaimin Desai, Head- Design, Mahindra Lifespace Developers Ltd.
“We are seeing wider adoption of technology for designer guestroom controls, lighting management systems, circuit protection as well as air purifiers for a healthier, energy efficient, and cleaner home environment. A simple smart plug from a reputed make can cost from INR 2000 whereas home automation solutions with smart switches from reputed make may start from INR 50,000 and can go up to INR 10 lakhs.” Ahraaz Khan, Marketing Leader, Honeywell Building Technologies
“There is a lot of potential for growth in this space, considering the young demographics of India and the growing tribe of tech-savvy consumers, especially in the metro towns.” Sukanto Aich, CMO, Philips Lighting India
“Home automation business is growing with a CAGR of over 30%. The market size is expected to cross Rs. 30,000 crore in the year 2022, according to one research. If one were to make only lighting control comparison for the same set of circuits, the cost of automation can vary from Rs. 30000 to Rs. 1.5 lac.” Rakesh Sachdev, MD, Acetech Technologies
“Consumers perceive it’s a huge task to integrate the Home Automation System and takes high investment. People view it as a luxury and not as a necessity. “Price range usually depends upon the amount of work and the product range. The range starts from Rs. 30,000 onwards.” Jayanth Jain, MD and CEO, GM Switches and Home Automation
“Consumers are not willing to change their existing switches or want to engage in wiring but still want automation. With smaller and more affordable solutions available, it is possible to create a smart home at 1% of the total construction cost. Costs will further come down as demand increases through rising awareness about the benefits of home automation. If one considers a system that delivers full-fledged automation features then the price tag get into the 1 lakh or more.” Srijith Shivan, Head – Sales, BuildTrack
Home Automation – Making Headlines
Consumers are drawn to high-tech functionalities of AI systems which lets them control the environment from wherever they are in the world. With the beginning of a long-term trend toward home automation, in the following years, the industry is going to make unprecedented success. Also read http://realtyplusmag.com/developing-affordable-sustainable-habitats/
Advanced Home Automation devices and their applications
- Teletask system from Belgium: The system is capable of handling with ease all integrations with curtain motor, multi-room audio, Home theatre system, VRV Air conditioning, Security systems, Garage doors.
- i-Fi switches and I-Touch Switches: GM i-FI Automation Technology extends smart home solutions for an intelligent lifestyle. With a router and wireless connection, you can control your home electrical devices like television, air conditioning, curtains and more.
- Buildtrack’s Glass Touch Switches: Glass Touch Switches offer Smart App control. All home safety/security sensors and panic switches that can be monitored centrally by building security personnel without internet.
- Door locks: Door locks that can be remotely operated. Remotes can be paired to work with any switch or with any combination of switches, serving as a master switch.
- Wireless Sensors : Buildtrack’s wireless sensors can control existing light switches, ACs or fans without the need for Wifi or internet.
- GM G-Bus Home Automation system: G-Bus Automation system lets you can control your lights, fans, and blinds and turn other appliances on/off and monitor their behaviour with a Wi-Fi or 3G or 4G connection through G-Bus-App from wherever you are in the world using a tablet or a smartphone.
- Smart SKUs: Smart wiring devices, the dimensions of the same are exactly as that of non-smart SKUs. This helps as the builder is not required to change his original design for adoption keeping the solution modular and customizable.
- Buildtrack’s Video Door Phones : This operate from lobby to apartment and also ring smart phones when visitors arrive. Door locks that can be remotely operated.
- Philips Hue white ambiance and Colour Lights: With Philips Hue white ambience and colour lights, choose from warm white to cool daylight as well as millions of colours. The system has pre-set light recipes to help users relax, read, concentrate and energize.
- Philips Hue Home Connected Lighting System: The system syncs seamlessly with music, movies and games, and transforms your room into an entertainment arena, bringing spatial immersiveness to a whole new level. It can also gently wake you up in the morning, get you energized for the day ahead, and even give you a warm welcome when you arrive home.