MMR’s Most Vibrant Housing Markets – Affordable to Ultra Luxury
- Among top 7 cities, MMR saw most new launches – nearly 13,600 units & highest sales at 15,200 units in Q2 2018
- 17,220 promoters and 15,550 agents under MahaRERA – highest RERA registration Pan India
- Stamp duty increase may be a slight dampener in the short-term
On the back of critical policy reforms like DeMo, RERA and GST, 2018 is seeing both sales and new supply picking up across cities. Interestingly, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) leads this trend. ANAROCK data indicates that out of the total new housing supply of around 50,100 units in Q2 2018 across the top 7 cities, MMR saw the highest number of new launches with nearly 13,600 new units – a 59% increase against the preceding quarter.
In terms of sales too, MMR clocked the maximum housing sales with approximately 15,200 units being sold in Q2 2018 – an increase of 26% against Q1 2018.
MMR’s top 3 micro markets across budget ranges 2017 – Q2 2018:
Affordable Segment (< ₹50 lakh)
- Rasayani in Navi Mumbai saw the launch of nearly 2,410 units, with average prices being ₹5,100/sft and average property size being 450 sft
- Palghar in Mumbai saw launch of nearly 1,710 units, with average prices hovering around ₹4,550/sft and average property sizes at around 380 sft
- Panvel in Navi Mumbai, the third-most active micro market in MMR in this segment, saw the launch of nearly 1,510 units. The average property prices are ₹6,700/sft and average carpet area is 380 sft
Mid Segment (₹50 lakh – ₹1 Crore)
- Kandivali in Mumbai saw as many as 2,300 units launched since 2017, with average prices at ₹20,000/sft and average size of 390 sft
- Dahisar East in Mumbai saw launch ofnearly 710 units with average prices at ₹18,000/sft and size at 470 sft
- Shilphata in Navi Mumbai, another prominent locality for mid segment properties, that saw around 530 units launched with average prices at ₹7,800/sft and sizes at 630 sft
(Source: ANAROCK Research)
Luxury Segment (₹1 Crore – ₹2.5 Crore)
- Andheri East in Mumbai saw the launch of nearly 2,230 units with average prices and sizes hovering around ₹27,400/sft and 510 square feet respectively.
- Mulund Westin Mumbai saw the launch of nearly 960 units with average prices at ₹27,400/sft and average size at 650 sft
- Seawoods in Navi Mumbai,the third most active locality in MMR in this segment, saw the launch of more than 200 units. Average property prices are ₹12,500/sft while the average carpet area is 1,050 sft
Ultra-Luxury Segment (> ₹2.5 Crore)
- Mazgaon in Mumbai saw launch of nearly 820 units with average prices and sizes hovering around ₹65,000/sft and 950 sft respectively.
- Tardeoin Mumbai saw launch of nearly 550 units with average prices at ₹75,000/sft and size at 800 sft
- Sanpada in Navi Mumbai saw launch of more than 50 units. Average property prices are ₹21,000/sft while average carpet area is 1,250 sft
Maharashtra has emerged as one of the most active states in RERA implementation, and MahaRERA has been the primary driving force behind MMR’s regained momentum in 2018. In over a year, the authority has registered more than 17,220 promoters and 15,550 agents, the highest across the country.
While the proposal to levy a surcharge of 1% on stamp duty (increasing to 6% from the existing 5%) could prove to be a slight dampener in the short-term, the decisive return of buyers to the market is beyond question.