Resolving Conflicts in Mind of Working from Home
Arpita Bhandari, Design Energist, Founder of Arpita B Design Studio
As the second wave of COVID-19 kicks in cases are surging, hence the need to work from home is a matter of concern causing conflicts within and outside. Working from home can be a task with a myriad of situations playing out in a day causing distractions like laundry, cooking, attending to your spouse and children, cleaning and many more leading to a disruptive productivity. Home is your personal space where one wants to feel relaxed, peaceful and comfortable unlike the usual professional environment.
On the flip side, being at home 24/7, has led you to work overtime long after you would have called it quits at your workplace. Many are adapting to new ways of living a better and meaningful life of 2021. It’s very important to define and structure a schedule for yourself to see positive results at work and with your loved ones at home.
Here are few tips to resolve the conflicts within to have productive ways of working at home using COLOURS. FORMS. EMOTIONS:
Colours, forms, emotions play an important role in our lives. But do we realise the importance of these 3 elements in our space or in our day to day life?
- We are all surrounded by colours & forms. Colours make us feel in a certain way and similarly forms & shapes give structure to everything around us.
- Colours & forms have different associations and feelings attached to it. Which is why we like few colours & forms or dislike few colours & forms.
- Emotions play a very significant role in how to think, act or react. So COLOURS. FORMS. EMOTIONS are dominant elements to make work from home effective and productive.
- Your state of mind & the energy of your workspace plays an integral role to optimise your ability to deliver productive work.
Let’s make your home an ideal space for working and to let you keep progressing and excelling at work by doing the following simple additions or changes in your space
- The colour Palette for 2021 infuses a broad spectrum of shades, tints and tones of greens reflecting hope, rejuvenation and self-nurturing. The complementary colours to accentuate your space are blue-greens, tinted whites, tones of earthy reds and yellows. Add these colours to change the vibe and energy of your space to welcome the 2021 with vigour, faith and belief.
- Design your space in a way that your state of mind is calm & stable so that you can work effectively & deliver good quality work output.
- It’s important that you find a quiet workplace to make sure that you can focus on your work entirely without distractions and disturbance. Assign yourself a silent and a space you most resonate with in your house to work from. The space should make you feel composed, comfortable & connected.
- Getting on a structured schedule (To do list) is key if you’re going to work from home and want to balance it with your family and personal life. It’s important to know what you’re going to do each day when you get up, so you don’t waste time and energy. This will allow you to live a balanced and harmonious life.
- Ergonomics is more relevant now than ever. Good ergonomics improves work output, and decreases the long-term detrimental effects on health, like neck issues, spinal injuries etc which would eventually hold you back from living your desired life. Invest in a chair now to avoid spinal concerns.
- Make your space talk about your work and current passion by grouping together a couple of artefacts to create a focal point of inspiration which will keep you motivated and energised throughout the day.
- Play with colours you most love by giving a quick makeover to a wall either with paint or having subtle abstract imprints reflecting on the wall which is a depiction of what you desire for year 2021.
- Rearrange the existing furniture to transform the energy of the space. This can make your space look fresh and new.
- Lighting plays a very significant role in making your home look either dull or vibrant. Add or change the room lighting to ambient lighting, as this will liven up the space and calm your mind enabling you to use your skills & potential to the maximum.
- Accessorise your work desk with beautiful quirky things –
- Scented candles – to help reduce anxiety, lower stress level & to keep you calm.
- A nice diary – to help you be structured & organised through the day.
- Little organiser for handy things – to help you keep your desk decluttered
- Create your own personalised vision board – to help you achieve your goals & desires
- Plants – To help you purify air, keep you happy and reduce stress.
- Sleek & stylish desk lamp
Lastly, remember it’s very important to take breaks when you need to. Just because you’re working from home doesn’t mean you can’t take breaks. Make sure you walk around in your space at intervals of 2-3 hours to relax your MIND & BODY for a better output. Frequent breaks can refresh & recharge your mind.